Final Fantasy Epic RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Localization and ping

3 posters

Go down

Localization and ping Empty Localization and ping

Post  ExSinner Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:55 pm

I think it could be cool, if map will be localed to other languages. There is not so much FFERPG players in Russia, and more of them don't even know english (they make me and another players off by asking questions like "what does it mean?").

Another idea. Add -ping command, which will ping (pardon for cunster Very Happy) all key NPCs and items of quests in progress
ExSinner
ExSinner

Back to top Go down

Localization and ping Empty Re: Localization and ping

Post  Zergling_man Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Localisation is awesome! But... A lot of work. So if you start digging out every line and conversation you can find, and providing a good translation, we have a start. Wink

I thought -ping already existed? Or did it just happen periodically? Either way, I'm pretty sure this already exists.
Zergling_man
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  ExSinner Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:43 am

Sorry for REALLY long reply Surprised

I guess I could have every conversation line, item names, etc. So, all I need is just post all the translations here or send it somebody? Have I understood you right?

The -ping command does not exist in 0.9.3 version. Sometimes it is boring to wait while another ping happens.
ExSinner
ExSinner

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:38 am

Where to put the results... PM to one of the devs, I guess. Red-named guys.
But posting it publicly is also not a bad idea. That way other people who speak that language can check/correct it, or if they go to translate, don't accidentally do work you already did.
And yes, you understood me correctly. I wish I could help, but even with Japanese, I'd be relying on Google Translate.

(Hey devs, how big would localisation make the map? For just one language? Can we do funky stuff with mismatched versions due to translations, or would they desynch?)

Eh, I can always find something to do while waiting for a ping. Wink Having memorised the location of most of the quests anyway, I tend to just flick open that and pick where to go. (Even if you haven't memorised it, you can get a general idea of where to go, and get very close.)
Zergling_man
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  ExSinner Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:06 am

Well, I don't think anyone offered such idea before. As long as I listed forum topics I couldn't find anything about translations. Besides there's no updates of the map for really long time.
ExSinner
ExSinner

Back to top Go down

Post  Karifean Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:03 pm

I suppose the most feasible way to make a localization is to simply have a separate map using the different language. Otherwise it really isn't feasible to have things like items, hero and ability names in different languages. I don't speak Russian beyond a bit of basic comprehension so I can't be of much help there. If you do decide to make a whole translation effort by yourself that would be quite amazing however. Please PM me if you do.

The quest targets are pinged every 15 seconds. Should I reduce that interval? Seems like it would just get too frequent.

-ping with our current system is a bit of trouble to implement, but I can put it on our backlog of things to do ^^
Karifean
Karifean

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:32 am

But what happens if a player with an English version joins a game hosted by a player with the Russian version? If the maps are named the same, WC3 will think they are. But then what? Would it still work?
Zergling_man
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  ExSinner Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:15 am

I'm interested in this too. Karifean?
ExSinner
ExSinner

Back to top Go down

Post  Karifean Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Zergling_man wrote:But what happens if a player with an English version joins a game hosted by a player with the Russian version? If the maps are named the same, WC3 will think they are. But then what? Would it still work?

Warcraft III is smart enough to circumvent this problem, but I would actually just name the maps differently in the first place. No harm in adding a "rus" at the end of the file name or something.
Karifean
Karifean

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling_man Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:16 am

But it'd be nice if the end result is that we can all play in our own language.
Zergling_man
Zergling_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Karifean Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:41 am

Zergling_man wrote:But it'd be nice if the end result is that we can all play in our own language.

You mean multiple players playing with different languages in the SAME game?

Not gonna happen. Sorry.
Karifean
Karifean

Back to top Go down

Post  ExSinner Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:34 pm

Anyway, is idea still on? If it is, I'm gonna translate (or try at least) the map.
ExSinner
ExSinner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum