Final Fantasy Epic RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about ff series

3 posters

Go down

Question about ff series Empty Question about ff series

Post  nhammen Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:03 pm

I would like to learn more about the FF serie games but don't know where to start i'd like to play some ff games but there so many ff games so i don't know where to start if someone can give me brief list of main story and spin offs of the serie for PC!! and ps1-3 with emulator for PC would be great

nhammen

Back to top Go down

Question about ff series Empty Re: Question about ff series

Post  Nazzov Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:39 pm

There isn't really 1 story line, (almost) every single FF game is set in a different world.

I, II and III were on the NES and even though they are the classics I don't really think you'll miss much if you've never played them. (FFIII did have the first class switch system though)

IV, V and VI were on the SNES and FFVI is still definitely my favorite. I think it is a game you must have played if you like FF or RPG's. (Again FFV has the option to change classes, so may be better in relation to FFERPG, even though the names of the classes of III and V don't match those of FF Tactics (but I'll get to that later Smile ))

To be able to enjoy these older games you must however definitely be able to look beyond the pixels, these games did not try to look pretty and in that way they are timeless to me, because the only thing that matters is the storyline. Many people who started with FF at VII and VIII can't appreciate the classics. Smile

VII, VIII and IX came out on the PlayStation and especially VII and VIII tried to look pretty and even though they may have done so at the time, within a year they looked old. IX went for a more cartoony style and thus was liked much better by the people who liked the (S)NES games.

VII and VIII however were the first games that really broke through in America and so they have had much more attention with numerous sequels for VII and them both also appearing for PC. (but again, the games are old, so if you find a download for them, you will need a lot of patches to be able to play them on current day PCs)

X (and X-2), XI and XII came out for PS2.
XIII (and XIII-2) and XIV came out on PS3.

Ok, for getting to know FF, I would skip these later games, after VII and VIII there has been much hype about the games, some of the original creators had left Square-Enix and much more focus has been placed on beauty then on story. So even though you could still find them great games, I don't think you should play them to get to know the FF genre.

XI and XIV were MMORPGs, they came out for PC as well and they can be easily found, but you have to pay a monthly subscription to be able to play them.

Now, back to FFERPG.
The class system is more based on FF Tactics, a spin off for the PlayStation.
Tactics is set in a world called "Ivalice" and unlike the other FFs, this world is home to more games, FF Tactics Advance (1+2) for the GBA, Vagrant Story for PlayStation and FFXII for PS2.
So if you really want to learn more about the classes in FFERPG, you should play FFT. Smile

And now, back to work. Wink

When I get home I can supply you with some emulators and roms for some of the older games. Smile
Nazzov
Nazzov

Back to top Go down

Post  nhammen Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:23 pm

So basicly what you saying is that i can play on pc VII VIII and XI XIV which i'm expecting to play with my fr. You didn't have to write all this but thanks, i'll check if my frs have some of this games i never thought of playing final fantasy because i know big part of the serie is for xbox ps1-3 etc but seen the mmorpg(since the XIV version 2.0 is coming 2013) i thought i'll look in the past games to learn more about the game

nhammen

Back to top Go down

Post  Nazzov Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:12 pm

No, I actually said to play Tactics if you want to know more about the classes used in FFERPG, since this was a FFERPG forum, I thought that was what you wanted. Smile

And to play FFVI, because I think that is the best one. Wink

But if you want to know more about FF because you want to play FFXIV with your friends, the only comparable game is actually FFXI.
Like I said (almost) every FF has a completely different world and the world of FFXI is the only one that compares to FFXIV with the races and general feel of the game. (FFXII and FFXIII do play a bit like a single player version of XI/XIV, but the world and races are pretty different, plus they are only on PS3.)
Maybe you can find a free month of FFXI, but then you probably still have to buy the game, so then you could as well buy FFXIV.

Even though FFVII and FFVIII were released for the PC, they are extremely hard to come by and for me they feel terribly dated. So if you just want to play FF games, I would still recommend playing the SNES games on an emulator.
Nazzov
Nazzov

Back to top Go down

Post  nhammen Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:32 pm

What i really meant with my last post is that I have a friend who has FFT with ps2 so i can play them without any problem. But like you said every FF has different story so i'll probably be checking only FFT XI(to get in touch with classes and prepare a little for XIV-II) and SNES (to learn and try some classic rpg) well tnx for all the info. But all this will have to wait a little till my exams are over so i can get enough free time to run all games in once while in winter vacation.

nhammen

Back to top Go down

Post  Karifean Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:19 pm

I got into FF with VII. We had VIII at our home but I didn't play it until much later. The second FF I played was X and since then, I've played all Final Fantasy games (main series plus X-2 and XIII-2) following VII, save for XI and XIV because they're MMORPGs. I have also played VI up until the final dungeon, but never finished it. I never played any of the tactics series or the games I through III.

Final Fantasy X is my personal favorite and also happens to be my favorite game of all time. Despite this, I'd recommend you start with VII if you want to get into the series. The graphics may throw you off at first, depending on what you're used to, but it shouldn't be too big a deal. It's a great experience. X lacks a lot of the exploration factor and although it makes up for it with its other qualities, that one aspect was kind of a distancing from what the series is usually featuring - so not a prime example of what Final Fantasy really is. Though if you want to get into that topic, IX is probably the best choice. Most FF fans agree that IX just embodies everything Final Fantasy.

So yeah, VII is a good one to start with, but I would recommend playing all the games. Wink
Karifean
Karifean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down